A large portion of the hits were on living "green" but I expected that. Other links led me to some excellent blogs (3 added to my blogroll today).
But I did not expect to find this: Missional Multiplier Job Description
Yep, a "job description" for being missional! But it gets even better. Not only has reaching out to people been programmed into a few "You must do this" items, you can move beyond this into a "Missional Multiplier" - evidently, they're the guys that have got "missional" down pat.
Every student should, at the very least, be living missionally.What this looks like is -• Having intentional meals/coffee with classmates, work associates, neighborsand family initiating spiritual conversations trusting God for a Gospelopportunity.• Invite same people into the body, the church and CRU events,• Join other groups associated with a hobby, interest, or major and spendingtime to create relationships with the intent of having spiritual conversations.......
There are certain individuals that are Missional Multipliers (M&M) –• M&M’s are faithfully attempting the above missional lifestyle and alsomultiplying that lifestyle in the lives of others to raise up missionally minded students for the movement.• M&M’s disciple key students so that they are multiplying a missional lifestyle into others’ lives.• M&M’s are discipled by Staff members or other student leaders......
Admittedly, there are some good ideas in this list. But I see some issues: 1) We're not clones. To say that everyone must do exactly the same thing is silly, illogical, and unbiblical (did Paul and Peter reach people the same way?)2) If we, as Christians, create relationships with people just so we can have a spiritual conversation, then we have treated them not with love but as means to an end.There are other issues, but the primary one is reducing following Christ down to a handful of "musts".
Of course, this does come back full circle. By creating a list of ways to be missional, I could also be "programming" missional. It is our tendency to want to break everything down, to number it, to add some "musts" and "must nots" to the list. I like checklists and job descriptions. They help me know exactly what I need to be doing. But I hope I never limit anything of God to a checklist for myself or for other people. God is far bigger than any 10 ideas I could ever come up with.
I'll still finish my list of 10 ways, but they are simply suggestions for me and others. They are a starting point, something concrete to begin a life of following Christ.
(Please comment at http://jimmie.compassionatechristianity.org)